If you’re like me, you’re stuck in cold, icy, freezing and dreadful weather. I’m a Southern California girl, and anything less than 75 makes me slightly homicidal. Either that, or just really depressed. It doesn’t help that I’m a solopreneur who works from home by herself all day. So I have to actively and consciously find spots of sunshine in my day or I’ll go bananas. Here are my 11 favorite ways to give myself more joy and self-love:
1. Take a bath with epsom salt. Did you know that almost every American is deficient in Magnesium? As the 4th most important mineral for our body and responsible for over 300 bodily reactions, this mineral is VITALLY important to our most basic cell functions or they’ll perish. Modern farming and fluoride in our water have depleted our magnesium stores. In addition, if you drink caffeine, alcohol, consume sugar, processed foods, and foods high in phytic acid, you are also contributing to your body’s magnesium depletion.
So what does magnesium do? Well for starters, it:
- Gives rigidity AND flexibility to your bones
- Increases bioavailability of calcium
- Regulates and normalizes blood pressure
- Prevents and reverses kidney stone formation
- Promotes restful sleep
- Helps prevent congestive heart failure
- Eases muscle cramps and spasms
- Lowers serum cholesterol levels and triglycerides
- Decreases insulin resistance
- Can prevent artherosclerosis and stroke
- End cluster and migraine headaches
- Enhances circulation
- Relieves fibromyalgia and chronic pain
- Treats asthma and emphysema
- Helps make proteins
- Encourages proper elimination
- Prevents osteoporosis
Are you magnesium deficient? Probably. I’m not a nutritionist so this is not medical advice, but check out the following. Magnesium deficiency leads to:
- Anxiety, hyperactivity, restlessness
- Muscle spasms, twitches, soreness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Back aches
- Chest tightness and difficulty breathing
- Heart palpitations
- High blood pressure
- Extreme fatigue
Want a quick and fun magnesium boost? Take a bath with epsom salt. Epsom salt is replete with magnesium and your body absorbs it through your skin. So not only are you getting this crucial mineral, but you are also relaxing and enjoying a nice, soothing and warm bath during this cold weather. Add some bubbles, spa music, and flowers, and you’re good to go.
2. Buy some flowers for yourself. Why wait for Spring to see them blooming in your yard (or if you’re like me, in your neighbor’s yard)? Add a gorgeous vase to your office desk.
3. Aromatherapy. I love to burn orange, lemon and lavendar oils in my diffuser. These smells help raise my energy or relax me and bring so much joy to my environment. They also calm down the company mascot, aka Guard Chihuahua.
4. Put some lipstick on. If you work from home by yourself, it’s so easy to get stuck in the ol’ yoga pants routine. Do yourself a favor and take a shower early in the morning and get dressed as if you were going to entertain the Queen of France. When you look the part, you feel the part.
5. Workout. I had to say it. Get at least 15 minutes of good cardio in along with your favorite music.
6. Eat well. Nothing says self-love better than a woman who cooks herself a beautiful meal and eats it at a beautiful setting. Why wait until you have a date over to make that Marry Me Chicken? Girlfriend, do yourself a favor and make yourself a scrumptious and beautiful meal just for yourself.
7. Give your pets some love. They reciprocate joy times 1,000,000.
8. Make your bed. Make your environment beautiful and keep it organized. Make your bed every morning, clean out your refrigerator, mop your floors, scrub your toilets. You will get SO much clarity as you do these things in other areas of life, I promise you.
9. Listen to a new podcast. Get in the habit of trying out new things and learning about new subjects. It can get incredibly lonely as a solopreneur, and I love to listen to my favorite podcasts as I’m cleaning house or working out. After a while, I’ll run out of them and have to find new ones. And I always end up finding different and interesting subjects and “meeting” fabulous new people.
10. Get rid of the Real Housewives. And gossip rags. And the news. Reality tv is just so depressing! Surround yourself with things that raise your energy, make your happier and smarter.
11. Bring someone a dish or some flowers. Do something kind for someone you know, whether its a friend going through a hard time, your new next door neighbor or the local fire department. I always say, why only give flowers at funerals? Give them to people to enjoy while they’re alive!
What are your favorite ways to attract more joy in your life and give yourself more self-love? Please share with me below! I’m always looking for new ideas.
Happy Valentine’s Day!